Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 1: Fit Test

Today was day 1 of my quest for Insanity. The first challenge was the Fit Test, which consisted of 8 workouts; you do as many reps as you can within an allotted amount of time. This test definitely gives you an idea of what is in store over the course of the next nine weeks, and it absolutely obliterated me!

I can definitely share in the sentiment of so many reviewers whenever they mention their thoughts in the first day or two of the Insanity Routine: WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?!?! What makes it all the more intimidating is the fact that there is more time between the exercises than in the actual workouts. I had a minute - in some cases, more - to get a drink and prepare for the next exercise while Shaun T. explained how to perform each movement. I will only be given 30 seconds of rest between circuits in the actual workouts.

Let me take a moment and provide a suggestion that I have not seen too many people make. Get a heart rate monitor! You definitely want to keep track of your heart rate throughout the workouts in an effort not to overwork yourself. I bought a monitor by new balance for 50 dollars since I am only using it for workout purposes. There are more expensive heart rate monitors which offer more operations should you desire one that offers more versatility. In any event, get one!

Here are the results I achieved on the first Fit Test:

Switch Kicks - 90
Power Jacks - 30
Power Knees - 50
Power Jumps - 11
Globe Jumps - 5
Suicide Jumps - 6
Push-Up Jacks - 18
Low Plank Oblique - 28

Another note I would like to make is that I did my best not to pay attention to the people doing the exercises on the DVD only because it is not accurate to measure up to them if you are barely getting into this routine. The folks on the DVD have already completed the workout, so don't be discouraged with your numbers. I think my numbers were fairly solid considering that I haven't worked out in quite some time, so I anticipate a steady improvement going forward.

For those of you who plan on trying to maintain some degree of muscle mass, I would recommend doing some minimal weight training throughout the routine. That being said, I think this workout will allow for better results when it comes to muscle building. I will probably incorporate 3 days out of the week to do some light to moderate lifting, but that's about it.

My next update will probably come on wednesday, and every third day after that. I will also put up posts every time I do a fit test. Future fit test posts will contain only the results and no additional commentary. That will be on my 3 day updates. Until next time, keep diggin deep!

No comments:

Post a Comment